Who are we and what do we do?
u3a is open to anyone who is no longer in full time-employment and those who have retired. Hayling Island u3a is organised into interest groups, providing the facilities to bring likeminded people together to enjoy new and interesting pastimes and social events. Hayling u3a has been running since 2006 and has just over 400 members. There are plenty of opportunities for members to make new friends, learn and laugh. There are no age restrictions and our members come from all walks of life.
Our activities are split into different interest groups. Currently we have over 50 groups covering creative, physical and cultural subject areas, where members can develop both old and new interests/ hobbies. We normally also organise trips to various venues both locally and further afield.
Many groups have been suspended since March 2019 due to Covid, but with the Covid rules now being less restrictive many of our groups are up and running again.
Sample of the interest groups are:
- Computer - We help and encourage members to make better use of their computing device for whatever interests them. 10am on the first Tuesday of each month.
- Croquet - Meets at 10am on Wednesdays in good weather to play on a garden court.
- Photography - Provide an introduction to digital photography.
- If none of those takes your fancy then there are many more to choose from or if you are passionate about another subject area you could form a new group yourself!
- French conversationWe meet to converse exclusively in French ( normally each Monday at 3pm.).
- Dining - We meet occasionally to enjoy a meal and good company
In addition to our interest groups, Hayling u3a has monthly meetings where members get news updates and hear speakers on a variety of subjects. A free cup of tea or coffee is included, which gives an opportunity to chat to other people. The meetings take place on the third Thursday of the month starting at 2:30pm at Hayling Island Community Centre. Visitors are welcome for a small fee, so look out for our posters detailing the speakers.
To showcase the activities of the Hayling u3a – we are holding an Open Day on the 16th September 2021. Most of our activities will be on show that day, with the opportunity to try your hand at many of them. The day will be open to anyone, enabling them to find out more about us. The activities will take place in Radford Hall and the Hayling Island Community Centre from 10.00am to 4 pm. So come along, you can just watch or join in!
Further details of Hayling u3a can be found at www.haylingu3a.org.uk, www.facebook.com/HIU3A or email email@example.com. A calendar of events, month by month is at https://haylingu3a.org.uk/calendar/.