My name is Natalie March from Physio-logical, a chartered physiotherapist in PO9. I am now back treating at our Havant clinic following my maternity leave, time does pass by so quickly especially with your second child! I hope you found our gardening tips in our last article useful.
As the nicer weather is here and people are back on the golf course we are seeing a lot of people who suffer with golfers elbow (pain on inside of the elbow) in our clinic; golfers, weight lifters, office workers, builders, and those who are spending time in their gardens are a few people who are effected by golfers elbow.
Most people with this problem have some pain when shaking hands, turning the steering wheel of a car, picking up a cup, opening a jar and carrying shopping.
Golfers elbow, also known as medial epicondylitis is an overuse injury which occurs where the tendon which flexes (bends) the wrist attaches to the inside of the elbow.
The best treatment for golfers elbow is hands on soft tissue release, massage, mobilisation plus strengthening exercises. Acupuncture is also a very good treatment option which we offer here at our Havant clinic too.
Please be aware of your body and take advice from your GP before exercising if you have any aches or pains or send me an email (email@example.com) for advice and guidance.
- Extend your arm with your palm facing up then bend and straighten at your elbow.
- Repeat 10 times, 3 times a day.
Wrist Flexor Strengthening
- Support your forearm on a table with palm facing upwards
- Hold a weight in the hand of your injured side.
- Use your other hand to bend your wrist up.
- Then let go of your wrist and use just your injured side to lower the weight slowly back to the starting position.
- Repeat 3 sets of 15, 2 times a day
Wrist Flexor Stretch
- Begin this exercise with your elbow straight and palm up
- Take your wrist backwards so your fingers point down towards the floor using your other hand until you feel a mild to moderate stretch pain-free in your forearm.
- Hold for 30 seconds x 2, 3 times a day
Don’t forget to check out our self-help exercise sheets on our website. Please take a look at: http://www.physio-logical.net/exercise-sheets/
Sports massage (Havant clinic only) and physiotherapy vouchers make ideal gifts, for more information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are always updating our social media sites with news, offers and competitions please like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/physio.logical.net, follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/physio_logical follow us on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/physio_logical/ and connect with us on linked at: https://www.linkedin.com/company/physio-logical
For more tips and guidance, visit www.physio-logical.net