I am pleased to share my latest Lemon coconut and polenta cake creation with you which is ideal for those who are gluten intolerant. It has a deliciously moist sponge texture created by using the desiccated coconut but the polenta gives it an extra bite which is very pleasant to the palate. The lemon juice and zest gives it a freshness and I have no doubt it will be enjoyed by everyone whether gluten intolerant or not.
50g caster sugar
50g gluten free flour
200g desiccated coconut
4 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder
- Line cake tin with grease proof paper.
- Using mixer cream butter and sugar until fluffy and pale.
- Break one egg at a time into mixture and add a ¼ of the gluten free flour this will stop the mixture from curdling. Mix well and only add additional egg and gluten free flour when the egg has been well beaten in.
- Zest two lemons using a grater and squeeze the juice of one lemon.
- Put the desiccated coconut into a bowl with the 1 tsp of baking powder and mix well. Put half of this into the butter sugar and egg mixture and mix well only adding second half of desiccated coconut when the first has been beaten in well.
- Add the polenta, lemon zest and juice of one lemon to the mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into lined cake tin and bake for 40 – 50 minutes on 170 fan oven until golden brown. Test it is cooked through using a tooth pick. The tooth pick should come out cleanly if the cake is cooked through.
Food Fiend Experience offers tailor made cookery courses on Hayling Island. For more information go to: www.foodfiendexp.com