Here is a vegan dish which can be served as the main course for a festive occasion. It is particularly versatile as it can also be used as a side dish to accompany the main course or used as the starter. Low fat, high fibre and a tasty healthy treat. Food Fiend Experience offers cookery courses and private dining experiences.
1 pack Tesco quick cook seven grains
2 medium sized red onions
100g pine nuts
75g dried cranberries
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp paprika
1 small bunch parsley
1 grated lemon zest
1 vegetable stock cube
4-5 large mixed peppers
- Put bag of the seven grains in a sauce pan and cover with twice as much boiling water. Add stock cube, spices and salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and top up with hot water if required. Strain off any excess liquid.
- Finely slice onions and place on a microwaveable dish add a couple of olive oil and stir well. Microwave on high for 10 minutes stop after 5 minutes to stir and continue cooking.
- Toast pine nuts on medium heat in frying pan.
- Separate and roughly chop cranberries if desired or leave whole.
- Wash and finely chop parsley.
- Wash peppers and using sharp knife remove stalk and some of top of pepper. Leaving large enough hole to place filling in the centre of the pepper.
- Add chopped parsley, toasted pine nuts and cranberries, lemon zest and cooked onion to the cooked grains and stir well. Add additional seasoning if desired. Fill each pepper with the filling. Place in an oven proof dish.
- Cook the peppers on fan 180 for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked through.