This recipe has been created for you to enjoy for alfresco dining, a light supper or lunch with salad. Great for a picnic and delicious whether eaten hot or cold. If you are lucky to grow your own tomatoes they will add a freshness and depth of flavour you will delight in.
For more information about courses and experiences available go to: www.foodfiendexp.com
100g plain flour
80g wheat and grain flour
250g cherry tomatoes
600g red onions
200g baby spinach
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 ½ tsp brown sugar
- Attach dough hook to food mixer. Place plain flour and whole wheat and grain flour into mixing bowl with a pinch of salt. Cut cold butter into cubes and add to flour mixture. Pule mixture until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add 7 Tablespoon (tbsp.) of cold water to the bread crumb mixture. Pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Add additional water 1 tbsp at a time to obtain a soft but not too sticky consistency if required.
- Flatten dough ball into a disk 2cm thickness and cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry disk until it fits a 28 cm loose bottom tart tin and prick with fork. Bake in the oven on 180 fan for 10 minutes with grease proof paper and baking beans and then a further 5 minutes without the beans and paper.
- Slice onions and place in a ceramic dish. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and mix well. Cook in the microwave for 10 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir in 1.5 teaspoon brown sugar and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Microwave for 10 minutes.
- Wash and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
- Wash spinach and microwave for 5 minutes stirring half way through. Squeeze out excess water and roughly chop.
- Grate emmental .
- Assemble tart. Placing cooked o+nions on the bottom and then spinach.
- Crack eggs into a jug and season well with salt and pepper. Stir in emmental cheese.
- Pour egg mixture on top of onions and spinach. Decorate the top of tart with cut tomatoes with cut side facing upwards.
- Bake on 160 fan for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot with a side salad.